Today I began the 1st day of my 23rd year. Yep, my math is correct. That makes me 22 years old.
My week started with a pity party. I felt sorry for myself, pushing myself deeper into a pit of self-pity and depression. I wanted to disappear. Then i remembered something, I am blessed.
I thought about the share a meal project I had in mind for the end of the week and those who would benefit. It was that thought that reminded me that though I don’t have the prefect life I am blessed. You see, despite the problems I’ve had all year, the trials I’ve had to overcome, the disappearance of old friends and the fact that I cried myself to sleep last night because my world seemed to be crashing down, I still have much to be thankful for.
- I have a Heavenly Father who promises to never leave me nor forsake me. Who is always by my side, who has fixed even the troubles I have yet to see.
- I have a Mom and a Dad who sacrifice their last to make sure their children have.
- I have siblings who get on my last nerves but who always come through when I need them.
- I have family that show up in the most unexpected way just when I need a helping hand.
- I have friends who know when I need a shoulder to cry on, or just a laugh, even though they may not always be available.
- I have a church family that never fails to reminding me that they are praying for me.
- I have a new family (#32seconds), some of the craziest people I know, who take on my over the top ideas and help me bring blessings to others.
- I have food, clothing, shelter, and a Kitti ( Everyone needs one of these, you’ll never stop laughing).
- I am blessed with the ability to minister to others through my imagination
- And most importantly, I HAVE LIFE.
It doesn’t always turn out as planned. I don’t always have a good day. But when at each moment I realize I still have the opportunity to repent of my sins and to tell someone about salvation, I must acknowledge the fact that I am Blessed.
I’ve seen the suffering of those around me, not just the less fortunate, but also my friends who go through their various circumstances. I cannot then pause for a moment of complaint. This November 11, I just wanna be thankful. I just wanna be able to say “Thank you Lord. I don’t know what I have done to deserve your blessings and grace but thank you. Thank you for loving me. I love you. Alana.”
I know it’s my birthday, but count your blessings. Remember, once there is life there is hope. God has big plans for you. No matter how bad things seem, He promises that better is yet to come.
P.S. I’m finally 22. meal